Contact us:

Links to more information:

Links to News Releases
& Announcements

Upcoming Events
Public activities at ASU

Campus News
Faculty and Staff

About ASU
Overview, history
and more

ASU Home Page


Arkansas State University

Jonesboro, Arkansas

Tom Moore
Frances Hart
Virginia Adams

fax 870-972-3069


Dr. Stanley E. Trauth publishes "The Amphibians and Reptiles of Arkansas"

July 8, 2004 -- The Arkansas herpetology book, entitled “The Amphibians and Reptiles of Arkansas”  -- a comprehensive, modern reference book and the only one of its kind, has recently been published thanks to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission and a federal grant.

Principally written by Dr. Stanley E. Trauth, professor of zoology at Arkansas State University in Jonesboro, the book represents some 20 years of work in the making.

“This book has more than 500 color photos and line drawings (from a former student and ASU graduate) along with pertinent information, life history, distribution maps and descriptions -- everything one would like to know," said Dr. Trauth.

"I realized there was so little known about the subject. And, I was asked back in the early 1980's (to participate in the research and writing of the book) and have worked on it ever since. It answers a lot of questions that people are interested in knowing. For example, there are 42 species and sub species of snakes in Arkansas," he said.

Book signings are planned in Mountain Home, Jonesboro and Blytheville. The first book signing will be held from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Saturday, August 7, at The Cherry Tree Bookstore in Mountain Home, 860 Highway 62 East, suite 10, in the Town East Center.

Another book signing will be held in conjunction with the Grand Opening festivities of the Crowley’s Ridge Nature Center, August 26-28. Dr. Trauth will conduct a presentation and book signing on Saturday, August 28, at 10 a.m. The presentation will be in the nature center’s auditorium followed by a book signing in the lobby, where several of Dr. Trauth’s photographs are on display.

Other book signings are being coordinated with That Bookstore in Blytheville and on the ASU-Jonesboro campus.  Dates, locations and times will be announced at a later date for the campus and in Blytheville.

“The Amphibians and Reptiles of Arkansas” contains 417 pages and has been published by the University of Arkansas Press. The user-friendly book will be an asset to researchers and naturalists throughout the South as well as in other parts of the United States.

Funding for the book was provided by the AG&F with 25 percent from the AG&F Foundation and the other 75 percent from a federal grant. Thanks to the funding, the book will retail at $45 as opposed to nearly $75.  

"The whole premise behind the book is that Arkansans will have a better understanding of these animals and preserve habitats," Trauth said.

Kelly Irwin, herpetologist at the Arkansas Game and Fish said, “This is a major work. The authors have done a superb job of compiling the definitive work on the herpetofauna of Arkansas to date. The photography illustrations are well done and the text is replete with pertinent information. It has extensive and well-written keys to larval amphibians, absent from most herpetological works, and for this reason alone herpetologists and biologists will use this work as an important reference. The authors are to be commended.”

The second and third authors of the book are Henry W. Robison and Michael V. Plummer, respectively.

The official publication date for the book is July 19. For more information, visit or contact Dr. Trauth at ASU at 870-972-3082.

#  #  #

NewsPage:  |  Back to TOP  |